Needing financial assistance for an eye exam or eyeglasses?
Lions Clubs throughout Kentucky work hard to raise funds to help people who are not financially able to purchase their eye glasses and who do not have any type of vision or health insurance. If you receive any type of government assistance (Medicare, Medicaid, Passport, etc.) please check with your local ophthalmologist to see if you are eligible for any type of vision coverage before applying for assistance.
To apply for assistance in the Louisville area please click on your zip code below and print and complete the application and mail it to the address printed on the bottom of the application. The application goes directly to your local lions club representative who determines the eligibility of the application and will contact you. Please make sure you fill the form out completely and correctly and you provide all of the information requested.
- You must check whether you need help with an exam and glasses or glasses only at the top of the form. If you request an exam it could be 4-6 months or more before we can schedule an appointment for you at the Kentucky Lions Eye Center. If you have insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, Passport, etc. you may be eligible for a reduced cost or free exam. Please contact a local ophthalmologist to see if you are eligible. If you have a way to get an eye exam from another source or program please do so and check that you need glasses only.
- You must provide documentation of your monthly support. If you have a place to live (other than a homeless shelter) you have support coming in every month. Please make sure you attach some kind of documentation. Some examples: food stamp letter, disability letter, or paycheck stub.
- You must mail the application back in to the address at the bottom of the application.
- DO NOT MAIL THE APPLICATION BACK TO THE FOUNDATION! If the application is mailed back to the wrong club, you will have to start the process over and fill out another application.
- Do not mail your eye glass prescription in with your application.
Failure to do any of these things will result in a delay of processing for your application. Feel free to use this as a checklist to make sure you have completed all of the necessary steps.
If you DO NOT live in Louisville or surrounding counties and DO NOT see your zip code posted below, please contact your local Lions Club for more information. If you do not know how to contact your local Lions Club please contact the Kentucky Lions Eye Foundation at (502) 583-0564. We will be able to give you names and phone numbers to Lions Club volunteers in your area.
This program is run by volunteers at your local Lions Club. Applications do not come back to the Kentucky Lions Eye Foundation and we do not have a say in approval. You will be informed by phone or letter if you are approved. It usually takes 10-12 weeks to receive approval and approval is not guaranteed. There are waiting lists at times so the time frame for approval may be extended in those cases.
For Louisville area applicants, please click on your zip code to download an application for your area. If you do not see your zip code, please call (502) 583-0564 for more information.